A couple of good videos for shoulder strengthening and injury prevention:
2019 NCAA rules/changes
College Recruiting -- Art of Coaching Article
DO NOT sign up for ANY recruiting service -- and DO NOT attend the pre-tournament "Coaches" tryouts/ showcases, etc -- TOTAL waste of you time and $$
Athletes -- this page and links are to assist you in your recruiting process. Remember that YOU are the commodity!
This information is to help you make the most informed decision, NOT just the emotional one.
Questions that may help to obtain information for your decision making about schools:
Best quote from another article -- "Your reputation is who people think you are; your character is who you are when you think no one is paying attention"
- What does a full scholarship entail?
- Talk to me about the 1 year scholarship and its renewing each year for 4 (5) years.
- Does your school have Cost of Attendance money.
- How much is the room and board check for when an athlete decides to move off campus?
- When does the team practice?
- Where does the team practice?
- Do they have to share the practice facility with another team?
- Where are the matches played?
- What is the average attendance?
- Describe the athletic facilities available for volleyball players. Gym
- Weight room
- Locker room
- Team room
- Training room
- Dining facility
- Equipment room
- How does the team travel?
- Where do athletes eat?
- Can freshman have cars?
- Is payment of apartment rent during the summer months dependent on attending summer school?
- To what extent are the community and media involved in supporting the University and the student athlete?
- Does the team go overseas to train?
- What is the current team's GPA?
- Does an athlete's GPA effect their playing time?
- What is the NCAA Clearinghouse and where can I get information on it?
- What is the graduation rate of the volleyball program?
- What is the quality of the educational experience the institution can offer?
- Can the curriculum accomodate potential changes in my daughter's academic major?
- How many areas of study does the institution have to choose from?
- How many classes are generally missed due to volleyball?
- What happens when an athlete has to miss classes or a test due to volleyball?
- Do the volleyball players have the opportunity to get summer school paid for?
- Is summer school required?
- Doe the athletic dept provide an academic services program that will ensure that my daughter will have every opportunity to succeed academically?
- How closely are grades and classes monitored?
- Do they have access to computers, study rooms, library, etc?
- Are tutors available?
- If fifth year aide available?
- Has the school or the volleyball program had any issues with respect to NCAA rules compliance?
- What is the coach's basic philosophy and method of coaching?
- Is the coaching staff genuinely concerned with my daughter's future after volleyball and does their coaching philosophy reflect that concern?
- What are each coaches plans for staying or leaving their current positions?
- What are the roles of the head coach and each of the assistants?
- How many players have transferred out of the volleyball program during the tenure of the coach?
- Do the athletes have the opportunity to work the summer volleyball camps?
- After the initial questionnaire is returned is it appropriate to continue corresponding with the coach?
- Does the coaching staff prefer written, electronic or phone calls as a means of correspondence?
- What is the quality of the schedule?
- Whom do they room with?
- Where do volleyball players live as freshman and later?
- Is working summer volleyball camps required?
- What is the philosophy on red-shirting?
- How much would I play as a freshman?
- Check out the schools website and the volleyball team's roster
- What players (and what are their graduation years) are listed as your position
- Another questionaire:
- What position will I play on your team? Describe the current players competing at the same position. What skills do they possess?
- Can I "redshirt" my first year? Under what conditions do you typically redshirt players?
- What are the physical requirements each year? (training committments, weights, etc)
- How would you best describe your coaching style? Where do you place your emphasis (offense, defense) during training and volleyball matches?
- When does your head coaching contract end?
- How does your team treat walk-ons?
- How good is the department in my preferred major? What is your school's NCAA APR number?
- What percentage of your players on scholarship graduate in four years?
- What is the team's GPA from last year?
- Describe the typical class size.
- What do you do to academically support your players?
- What is the typical YEAR like for your student athletes? (off-season training program)
- What is the typical DAY like for your student athletes during the season? During the off-season?
- Do the volleyball players all live in the same dorm? Will I be required to live on campus all four years?
- Is financial aid available for summer school? What does your scholarship offer cover?
- If I'm injured, what happens to my financial aid?
- What are my opportunities for employment while I'm a student?
- What state/region do most of your players come from?
- What chance do I have to win playing time as a freshman?
- What are each of the asst coaches responsible for?
- How much travel do you have in a typical year?
- Are there any unique team-building activities you do in your program?
- How important is the volleyball program to your school's athletic director?
- What conditions are used to determine annual renewal of scholarship?
- What are the most impressive accomplishments of your program in the past five years?
- Where do you see me fitting in the program this year? Years 2, 3 and 4?
- What are your policies for missed practices or being late due to class commitments?
- Do you have a solid academic advising center?
- Am I expected to stay in town during the summer?
- What are your expectations of me as a player? as a person?
- What are your team conduct rules? Are they the college's minimums or are they tougher?
- When does the season begin? End?
- What are my off-season responsibilities?
- How many matches are there in a season?
- How many freshmen are being recruited for my position?
- Where do you think my skills fit into your program?
- Am I allowed time to make up classes and tests missed because of the competition schedule?
- Are tutors provided for athletes?
- What medical expenses are covered by the college? What is NOT covered?
- How many credits are required for me to be eligible to compete? Keep my financial aid?
- Specifically, what expenses does financial aid package cover? What is NOT covered?
IMPRESSIONS: (from visit, phone calls, emails)
- 1. The way coach worked with team at practice and games
- 2. Discussions with current players
- 3. Campus itself
- 4. Fan support at games
- 5. Distance from home/accessibility to airports
- 6. Impression of student body
- 7. Impression of gym and workout facilities
- 8. Did the coach or recruiter say negative things about other schools?
- 9. Would I attend the college if I wasn't an athlete?
- 10. What was the attitude of the players toward the coach?
- 11. Did the coaches seem interested in my academic success?
- 12. Does it look like I can play with the talent level at this school?
Questions to ask players:
- What are the time commitments that are expected?
- What are the coaches like during practice? How do they change?
- Who does most of the instruction in practice?
- Are you able to balance the academic/athletic challenges?
- How helpful if the academic advising center?
- How are the practices organized? How long are they? During season? During the spring?
- How does the team travel -- what are the expectations and is time provided for studying?
- Is there a set of team conduct rules?
- What is expected of me in the gym and outside of the gym?
- What will be my biggest adjustment as a new player (in the gym and outside the gym?